Sanofi Group Scientist, New Target Designs in La Jolla, California
Synthorx has advanced a revolutionary technology that expands the genetic alphabet to drive the sitespecific incorporation of multiple non-natural amino acids into proteins of any size, and to manufacture these improved proteins at scale. This technology opens-up opportunities to make novel protein therapeutics to previously difficult to drug targets. We are hiring a motivated Research Associate/Senior Research Associate with hands-on experience with microbial protein expression and protein purification. This candidate will contribute to the development of protein expression processes using Synthorx recombinant platform to support lead candidate selection, pre-clinical studies and technical transfer to external CMOs.
Scientist – Molecular biology and Microbiology
Synthorx, a Sanofi company, is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to delivering new protein
therapeutics. Synthorx is applying a revolutionary synthetic biology technology based on an expanded
genetic alphabet and code to create designer protein-based medicines. We are seeking a dynamic and
rigorous scientist to join our team to help design, build, and test improvements to our expression systems
to enhance production of therapeutic proteins. The ideal candidate will bring strong experience in
molecular biology, strain engineering, and protein expression.
This position will be an integral part of a new team focusing on the optimization of our novel platform
for protein expression. The successful candidate will play a critical role in the design and analysis of
molecular biology and microbiology experiments directed at optimizing the expression of therapeutic
protein candidates containing non-canonical amino acids using the Synthorx technology. Regular
activities will include cloning DNA containing an unnatural base pair, transforming microbial strains,
and generating/testing novel constructs for high-level protein expression. In addition, the successful
candidate will also play a critical role in strain engineering. We hope to bring in an individual with strong
initiative and desire to make a positive impact. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to work
independently and effectively with a team.
• PhD and 2 years post doc or relative industry experience.
• Proven expertise with engineering E. coli is an advantage.
• Bacterial physiology, including DNA replication/repair, transcription, and/or translation.
• DNA assembly methods.
• Testing and optimizing recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts.
• Orthogonal translation systems. Hands-on knowledge of amber suppression is a plus.
• Highly creative and innovative scientist with a drive to generate and translate new ideas into
• Self-motivated and independent, but demonstrated ability to coordinate and work well as part of a
• Ability to work well in sight of aggressive timelines and excellence in multitasking.
• Ability to work independently and effectively with a team.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.